So Dan, what kind of camera do you use?

prairie, summer, road, rural, foggy, fog, Alberta, trees, farm, Dan Jurak, landscape, horizontal, camera equipment, Nikon, Sony, Canon, clouds, stormy,

I was asked this very same question on Instagram last week.

I actually had to go back to the image and open it up to view the EXIF data to see for myself.

I have only used three different camera models since I started shooting digital in the early 2000’s. The first was a 10 megapixel Canon Rebel, then a Canon Mark 1DSlll and finally I made the switch to Nikon about five years ago.

Aside from the Canon Rebel which is now old and amateur technology I never have noticed the difference between the newer Canon and Nikon.

Sure the Nikon has almost the resolution of the newer Canon but quality wise you really have to look closely to see any kind of difference.

I’m not a commercial photographer. The most extreme use of any of my images might be for a large print and both the Canon at 21 megapixels and the Nikon at 38 are more than adequate for my needs.

Some people still mistakenly believe that if they get Brand X camera body and lens that they will be able to take photos like the ones they like and they are partly right but they are mostly wrong.

Photography is probably 90% the person using the camera and the remaining 10% are the physical limitations of the lens and camera sensor.

Just like it was thirty years ago there are still “experts” on the internet forums today telling you why a Sony is superior to a Nikon or Canon and they might be but the differences are something that you will probably only ever see in the lab.

I could just as easily use a Nikon, Canon or Sony and nobody but nobody would ever be able to tell the difference. Creativity lies between your ears and not in your hands.

With a photographer just like a painter it is the person and NOT the equipment that matters. Remember that the next time you go shopping for gear.

 

Happy shooting,

Dan

Advertisements

~ by Dan Jurak on June 19, 2018.

5 Responses to “So Dan, what kind of camera do you use?”

  1. Asking a ‘tog what gear they use in order to be able to take the same photos is akin to asking Van Gogh what paintbrushes he used so I can recreate his Starry Night, LOL. (Segue, I am planning on “recreating” starry night via freeform crochet – but that’s as close as I’d ever get)

  2. Totally awesome Phylicia!!! Freeform crochet, that is a new one on me. 🙂

    Dan

  3. Gorgeous image.

  4. Hi Ronja, I use a Nikon but as I have written before, Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc. it is more the person using the camera than the camera.

  5. True!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: